"Make sure that what you are doing and striving for is going to be worth any sacrifices you will have to make along the way. If it's a relationship, job, anything in life."

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Tues Tip: Managing their Independence

                As Quinn gets older I am seeing her become more and more independent, she is doing more things that can be difficult.  For example when we went painting a few weeks ago she wanted to use the difficult brushes.  I let her use them so she could try them out but if there is something she is to small to do I just simply tell her I can help her.  She usually replies, “I’m to little” and I usually laugh and tell her she’s cute.  I have blogged about independence before  and now as I see her growing up I still just can’t believe how big she is getting.  She does so much on her own and wants to do more.  She even likes bringing in the big trash cans with me!  The way I figure I giver her a little extra rope and let her go through life.  If she goes to far, I pull her back in a little…  I think as a parent we don’t exactly know how much slack to give.  To much and there gone!  To little and they will rebel or fell constricted. 
                There isn’t a parent out there that has it down pact.  That’s why in life we have trial and error, and forgiveness.  I know my daughter may never see this post and she is to little to read it now but I’m very proud of her.  Sometimes when I’m having a bad day she is the one to tell me it’s going to be okay and hugs me.  I can’t believe how strong she is getting.  So when it comes to independence, well I just do my best.  I let her get a head of me a little but make sure I have a good grip on the rope so if she needs me I can pull her in.   It’s all we can really do in life as parents.  Even our parents still have a rope on us.  When we get in trouble or need help our parents are there for us.  They come over and help us fix a broken part in the house, or just talk us down from an anxiety attack.  A parent’s job is never done, they do their best to guide us, and so we can guide our kids and so on and so on…
                Just always remember to give your kids some slack, let them go a little to explore life and test the waters.  Just never be too far from them, because they may need you sooner than you think.  I can’t wait to blog more about this and tell you how Quinn is doing and growing with her independence.  I can’t tell you how far she has come.  She now gets in her car seat all by herself, helps me bring in things to the house and even just talked to me and listens without always having to get her way.  We negotiate about things like going out or dinners and she understands the concept of not always doing what she wants to.  Its going very well and as a single Dad I have a lot to grow but I feel pretty good…

Always remember,
You are never alone…

Love,Christopher

No comments:

Post a Comment