"Make sure that what you are doing and striving for is going to be worth any sacrifices you will have to make along the way. If it's a relationship, job, anything in life."

Friday, March 21, 2014

The Lungs Are Here!

     Great news!  My friend Sean has a match for lungs!  I posted about Sean and asked for prayers not to long ago and we all just got the email from his Mom that he has a match!  Sean has Cystic Fibrosis and has been just a fighter his whole life.  They came the fist day of Spring!  We are all so excited and can't wait to hear how the recovery goes.  I can't imagine how difficult the past few weeks have been for his family.  For myself it was just so tense, reading the emails about his good and bad days.  I honestly just don't know what would happen if he never got them.  The next few weeks will be very critical and I know he will have to work the rest of his life but to just get a new set of good lungs is so exciting.

     When i talked to my Mom and she told me the good news I just was so excited and teary eyed.  I love that kid so much and can't wait to greet him when he comes home.  I want to thank everyone who prayed and sent emails to get prayers.  Last night when I was putting Quinn to bed we said our prayers and like always we said a very special one for Sean.  I can't thank God enough, I know there are things in this world we don't understand.  I know there are bad thinks like war, and pain, and things that don't seem fair but in all this there was Sean and his new lungs.  These are the moments that make you know there is good in this world.  I can't wait to catch up with all of the family...

     I have posted the email Sean's Mom put in and want to thank everyone again for their prayers.

I will keep you all posted.

Always Remember,
You are Never alone....

Love,
Christopher



Spring signifies the emergence of new life. With Sean, it looks like his new life will begin this first day of spring 2014. This morning we were alerted about a potential set of lungs. We have now been told that the lungs are good. Sean has just been moved to the operating room for a double lung transplant. The entire surgery will likely take more than eight hours so we will probably not have a status update until after midnight.
Sean was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis at ten months old. He has experience a gradual deterioration of his lungs during his lifetime and in January 2013 Sean was admitted to Highland Hospital in Rochester with yet another respiratory infection. At this point his lung function had deteriorated to the point where he needed to drop out of his senior year in college. (He was one semester short of graduation). Sean was put on the waiting list for a double lung transplant in March 2013. On February 9, 2014 Sean had extreme difficulty breathing and was admitted to Intensive Care at Highland Hospital. On February 11th he was airlifted to New York Presbyterian Hospital / Columbia University Medical Center where he has remained in the Medical Intensive Care Unit awaiting a double lung transplant.
Since being here at NYP/CUMC, five different sets of lungs (three in the last five days) were available.  However, because of problems none of them were good for Sean. Therefore we feel very blessed that the current lungs are a high enough quality and the right size for his body.
We want to thank all who have been praying for Sean and our family.  We ask for continued prayers during this surgery and the recovery period.
Happy spring.
Bernadette

No comments:

Post a Comment